[Profile Register/Log In] (What's This?)

From: "Joe Showker" <jshowker@rockingham.k12.va.us>
Subject: [ITRT] From the Frontline-REPOST-Special Cellphone Edition
Date: April 12th 2012

"From the Frontline" - Special Cellphone Edition - April 2012 Internet Safety and Digital Ethics
News briefs for students, parents and professionals living, learning and teaching in the digital world.

The cellphone has evolved into a smartphone capable of all the functions of a computer. But it doesn't stop there. The cellphone is "biotechnology" - it's become "a part of us". Most digital humans carry this device or keep it close 24/7. That includes during the school day for students! As educators we are facing some interesting and perplexing issues that we'll link-discuss in this issue. Due to this urgent issue there are several developments and actions we wanted our readers to be aware of.

[Image:digethicsvapic1.jpg]"Digital Ethics: The NEW Internet Safety in Virginia"
1. A new blog has been posted on the web called: "Digital Ethics: The NEW Internet Safety in Virginia" @ http://digitalethicsva.blogspot.com/

...this blog is for ALL stakeholders to post their experiences, feelings, policy discussions, "war stories" and concerns. Parents, students, teachers, administrators are ALL welcome here. Posts are 100% anonymous unless you wish to give credit. The blog also has some page briefs(by yours truly) on cellphone use in the schools.

2. Rockingham County Schools is currently in review of our cellphone policy (as are many divisions across the commonwealth). There are committees forming up to study and recommend updates on policy and bullying issues. Our new school board is to be commended on leading the way with these current and important issues.

3. Posting on my digitalsafety page- http://delicious.com/digitalsafety has been very active. I encourage those interested in these topics to visit often.

4. For you teachers, staff and students... have a great Spring Break!

  1. WHSV Story on Harrisonburg City Schools Bring Your Own Technology - " The high school is doing a pilot program to test if students can handle having their phones on in class. ...The pilot program ends in January and school leaders will decide whether or not to expand the program." http://www.whsv.com/schools/headlines/Harrisonburg_High_School_Cell_Phone_Policy_Appears_to_be_Working_133051793.html?storySection=story

***special update: 2 links associated with this story: ...the Hburg City makes their final policy decision: http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/Schools_Will_Change_Cell_Phone_Policy_146754075.html ...the policy for BYOT:
http://web.harrisonburg.k12.va.us/tech/docs/tech_plan/Guidelines_Student_Devices.pdf

2. Twitter Privacy and Ethical Use - "Privacy is a very important concern when using social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter." Both adults and students need to read this.
http://tweepi.com/blog/2011/07/10-must-know-twitter-privacy-tips/

3. Don Bosco's Yuri Wright, a possible Rutgers recruit, expelled for graphic tweets - "This could be the first example of Twitter really hurting a (top-flight) kid," said Mike Farrell, Rivals' national recruiting analyst. The shame of it is that I know every kid was warned. I know conversations occur"
http://www.nj.com/hssports/blog/football/index.ssf/2012/01/don_boscos_yuri_wright_expelled_for_graphic_tweets.html

4. Virginia Attorney General's official position on Cellphones and Schools - More so as a result of sexting issues, but still important now during the Twitter age... "if there is a reasonable suspicion that a prohibited activity is going on, then an administrator has the authority [to search a students device] but the administrator would usually involve a school resource officer, "
http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/2010/nov/30/school-leaders-see-cuccinelli-opinion-affirmation-ar-684015/

5. Teens, Smartphones & Texting - "63% of all teens say they exchange text messages every day with people in their lives. This far surpasses the frequency with which they pick other forms of daily communication," http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2012/Teens-and-smartphones/Summary-of-findings.aspx

6. 6 Good Reasons NOT To Ask For Facebook Passwords - "In case you've not paid attention to the news in the past week, there has been a barrage of stories (over 1500 turned up in a quick online search) about organizations asking job applicants and employees for their Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social networking passwords. It's a hot topic folks! I've listed a bunch of them at the end of this post.� ompelled password disclosure is a very bad idea for organizations to do for many reasons." http://privacyguidance.com/blog/2012/03/23/6-good-reasons-not-to-ask-for-facebook-passwords/

7. Department Of Homeland Security Tells Congress Why It's Monitoring Facebook, Twitter, Blogs - OH MY... Big Brother LIVES (and it's not just Google). "The House of Representatives' Subcommittee on Counterintelligence and Intelligence was not pleased. (Insert "angry" emoticon here.)" ... Do we REALLY need any more reasons to teach privacy and "be careful what you post"? http://www.fastcompany.com/1816814/department-of-homeland-security-explains-social-media-monitoring-project-to-congress

8. Fake Facebook Identities are Real Problem for Schools - We've experienced this right here in our community... "Young impersonators harass and bully others. Stopping them is difficult." http://www.startribune.com/local/east/143590886.html

9. Mega Bullying Resources Site - Spend some time here for videos and more. This is a top link for teachers, ITRT or presenters. http://www.livebinders.com/shelf/search?search=&terms=bullying&type=0

10. Cyber Forensic Researchers Make The Call: Crime Scene Evidence Is Quickly Extracted From Mobile Phones - Told you so... This is an older, but timely article on just how cellphones become evidence. Good video. http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2009/0104-digital_evidence.htm

"From the Frontline" is a news brief with current news about all things Internet Safety and Digital Ethics. Feel free to share or forward this email to your contacts.

Compiled by Instructional Technology Resource Teacher Joe Showker of [ http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/ ]Rockingham County Schools. http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/itrt/itrtjfs.html

Joe Showker is a National Advisory Board member @ WebWiseKids.org - http://www.webwisekids.org/
and an Auxiliary Officer for the Harrisonburg Police Criminal Investigations Division

INTRODUCING a new blog: "Digital Ethics: The NEW Internet Safety in Virginia" @ http://digitalethicsva.blogspot.com/

"Up to the minute research and postings" on internet safety issues: http://delicious.com/digitalsafety

RCPS schools are teaching students and parents about internet safety and digital ethics.
@ http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/netsafety/netsafety.htm

If you do not wish to receive this, please reply to sender and we'll remove you from the list.

<< Previous: [ITRT] Second Life Egg Hunt

| Archive Index |

Next: [ITRT] Register Today! UMW EdTech Conference June 2nd - to Present and/or to Attend!!! >>

(archive rss , atom )

this list's archives:

Virginia Society for Technology in Education Technology Integrators list
Subscribe/Unsubscribe on ITRT

* Required