[Profile Register/Log In] (What's This?)

From: "Wendy W. DuVal" <wwduval@shenandoah.k12.va.us>
Subject: [ITRT] Re: BULK: Windows Home Computer Tips
Date: April 26th 2012

Thanks!!

Wendy W. DuVal
Technology Instructor
NETS*T Certified
Ashby-Lee Elementary School
480 Stonewall Lane
Quicksburg, VA  22847
540-477-2927

>>> "Obe Hostetter" <ohostetter@rockingham.k12.va.us> 4/26/2012 8:13 AM >>>

(Mailing list information, including how to remove yourself, is located at the end of this message.)
__

Here are some good Windows Computer Tips for your home computers to do on
a montly or regular basis:

1. Backup all your files to an external hard drive, DVDs, or pay for an
online backup service.  I pay for Carbonite backup which is $5/month to
back up all my documents, photos, music, movies on my computer
automatically to a website thru the Internet.  Even if I delete a file, I
can easily recover it using the Carbonite software.  Warning, if you have
a lot of files, the first time you run Carbonite, your computer will be
slow and not very useable for the first 3 days or so.

2. Download and run CCleaner which cleans up all the temporary files from
all browsers as well as Windows operating system.  Download from
http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

3. Download and run Malwarebytes and scan for problems.  Fix all problems.
This will remove spyware/malware which is just like a virus from your
computer.
http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

4. You must have a free or paid antivirus software on your computer.
Comcast gives Norton to its users (See
http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/?cid=NET_33_641)
Microsoft Security Essentials is a good free antivirus from Microsoft at
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5201

Other good free ones include Avast Home Edition, Avira, AVG etc.

5. To speed up your computer, run defraggler.  The Windows defragging
program isn't the best. Disable screensaver and defrag your computer to
speed it up.  download from http://www.filehippo.com/download_defraggler

Just like your car, computers sometimes need some maintenance,
Obe

--

ITRT

using the following email:

wwduval@shenandoah.k12.va.us

* Want to remove yourself from this mailing list at any time? Use this link:
http://www.vste.org/lists/mail.cgi/u/ITRT/user/example.com/

If the above URL is inoperable, make sure that you have copied the
entire address. Some mail readers will wrap a long URL and thus break
this automatic unsubscribe mechanism.

* Need Help? Contact:
vste@vstereg.org

* Privacy Policy:
We don't share your email anywhere, anytime.

* Physical Address:
9702 Gayton Road, PMB 149
Richmond, VA 23238

Mailing List Powered by Dada Mail
http://www.vste.org/lists/mail.cgi/what_is_dada_mail/

<< Previous: [ITRT] Windows Home Computer Tips

| Archive Index |

Next: [ITRT] Re: Windows Home Computer Tips >>

(archive rss , atom )

this list's archives:

Virginia Society for Technology in Education Technology Integrators list
Subscribe/Unsubscribe on ITRT

* Required